Thursday, April 18, 2013

Date Night Movie Review ~ 42 (The Jackie Robinson story)

photo source
So almost every Wednesday for the past 7 years my husband and I have a date night.  We started this tradition even before we were married and my mom makes it possible for us to continue it even with the 2 boys.  It is very rare that we miss and we usually try to make it up if we do.  It is the best piece of advice I can give any couple.  It is a priority we make for each other and it keeps us sane when the world of screaming and poopy diapers is constantly around us.
 
We originally picked Wednesdays because we could get free popcorn at the movie theatre.  But now that policy has changed but our tradition has not.  95% of the time we still see a movie.  The hubster and I love movies.  One week he plans the night and the next week I do.
 
I thought it would be kind of fun to start doing a little "date night movie review" blog series.  I am by no means a movie critic, but hey I'll try anything once :)
 
This week we saw "42".  It was kind of cool because Harrison Ford and the whole cast was just in Kansas City for the movie's premiere.  Heck we may have been sitting in the same seats as those guys and gals.

photo source

I really enjoyed this move.  A huge sports buff (like my dad) would have just loved it.  It's crazy how influential Jackie Robinson was to the game of baseball and the world at the time.  I don't know much about sports but even I know who Jackie Robinson is.  It makes me sick to my stomach to see how he and every other African American was treated in that time period for something as trivial as the color of their skin (essentially - the way they looked).

Harrison Ford was amazing in the role of Mr. Ricky.  I think it is one of my most favorite characters he has played.  He was witty and compassionate at the same time. 

See, I am not that good as a critic, but hey it is fun!  I recommend this movie especially if you are someone who loves a great sports story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...