Monday, April 29, 2013

I Believe I Can Fly ~ Having Faith

My oldest son jumping off of everything - he is catching some major air :)

Have you ever just been living your life and something so simple teaches you something so deep?  No?  Just me?  Ok, well here is my story...

In our living room we have a sectional couch and a double cubby ottoman that sits right in front of the couch.  My youngest son (now 17 months) loves to climb on the ottoman and jump off of it (completely learned from my oldest son - pic above).  He is never trying to jump onto the couch, he just takes a leap and assumes I will catch him (or my husband).  He just giggles and giggles after you catch him.  He has no fear.  Over and over again he jumps and I catch him.  Eventually he will move further back to make a longer jump.  I don't really know what goes through his little baby brain but I assume he is not even thinking about falling he just trusts me and falls into my arms.  And really, I WON'T let him fall (even though there have been a few close calls when I had no idea he was leaping out for me).  I catch him because I love him and don't want to see him hurt.  He has complete faith in me as his mommy. 

As he was doing this the other day I couldn't help but think that this is what God does for us.  He catches us when we leap for Him and He won't let us fall.  I have come to understand my relationship with God more and more as I have become a parent b/c it really is a father/child relationship.  He loves me the way that I love my own children.  I need to have full trust in Him that he will catch me as long as I am seeking Him in the path that I am taking.  It may feel like an impossible jump for me, but I should approach it like my son jumping into my arms with no fear.

I do not consider myself to be well-versed in all things spiritual by any means, but little "lessons" like this bring me closer every day.  I know this "light bulb" did not go off in my head by chance and it is a learning experience.

It reminded me of another example shared by our Pastor one church service that outlined our relationship with God as Father/child.  All parents out there know those times when your son or daughter want to help you with something so they can feel so big and like they accomplished something.  For instance, if you are carrying a heavy box and they want to "help" you carry it.  You let them hold onto one corner knowing that you are carrying 99.9% of the actual weight.  The child feels like they have completed a great task b/c they have helped mommy or daddy and they are so big.  It helps build their confidence and self-esteem.  This is what it is like when God entrusts us with part of His plan.  Does he need our help? No.  But He entrusts us with this small task so we can build our confidence and have some self-worth.

It really is about the learning process which I continue to work on every day. Maybe this little story that touched me today will resonate with you.  Who knows?  But don't be afraid to learn from your kids, they can teach you a lot :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...