Tuesday, April 23, 2013

My Metabolism Miracle Journey ~ Q & A


I have received so many encouraging comments and e-mails about my first post on The Metabolism Miracle. Thank you to everyone for your kind words and support!  I got a lot of questions from people and realized that I did not do a great job of really describing my journey (I was so excited to put the info out there I neglected the details).  So in this post I am going to answer a few of the questions I have had (it may have to overflow over to a 2nd post).

I also just want to be clear that I don't believe I could have been as successful as I have been without the help of Diane Kress and all of the other people on www.Miracle-ville.com.  It is a community of people following the Metabolism Miracle or the Diabetes Miracle along with the daily (hourly) support and answers from the author/nutritionist herself.  So if you are not already a part of Miracle-ville then please join us for support, recipes, tips, tweaks to the program, and most importantly answers to your questions directly from Diane (yes Diane herself).

On a side note: the picture is from my son's 1st birthday when he just destroyed his cake.  This is something I would have done pre-MM so I thought it was appropriate (and he looks super guilty which is how I always felt).

Anyway......on to the questions:

What made you decide to try the Metabolism Miracle?
Actually, when MM came my way (from my momma) I was fed up with trying to eat healthy and different diet plans.  I had sworn off trying anything else because nothing was working for me.  I exercised quite a bit.  I could tell you how many calories were in almost anything and was following a strict calorie input/output.  But with everything I was doing I was GAINING weight and at a fast rate.  I could eat the same thing as my thin friends but I would just continue to get bigger.  Everyone assumes that when you are overweight that you are lazy and closet eating when no one is looking.  I knew I wasn't doing that, but I thought "I might as well be because it obviously doesn't matter anyway".  I didn't even want to read the MM book when mom told me about it but I decided to give it one last shot.  I would just read it and when it just said the same thing as every other diet I could give it back.  But amazingly after reading the first chapter (or so) I was hooked.  I am a scientist and this book was actually explaining the science behind what was happening in my body.  I finally felt like I had a little bit of hope and started the program a few weeks later after my 5th wedding anniversary cruise.

How long did you stay on step 1?
I ended up staying on step 1 for 12 weeks total.  I did the first round of 8 weeks and then I was scheduled to have surgery a week later.  Based on advice from Miracle-Ville and Diane Kress herself, I thought it was best to stay on step 1 during my surgery recovery as pain can cause your body to release stored up carbohydrate (glycogen) to "heal" itself.  Staying in step 1 when the liver is depleted of most glycogen would be better than being in step 2 when the glycogen stores are filled back up and can dump at will during stress and pain.

How much weight did you lose on step 1?
First, just let me say that it is a great feeling to know what my expected fat/weight loss is for every 8 week time period.  If you are not aware ,there is a chart in the book that gives you your expected weight loss range based on your gender, height, and starting weight at the beginning of the 8 weeks.  I call this the "results ARE typical" part of the program - you know how every TV commercial for a diet program showing before and after pictures has in little tiny print "results not typical" (gotta love that).  I have always lost within the expected range (and the range does get smaller as you lose the weight which is only logical).

So with that said, when I began the program on step 1 my expected weight loss was 14-21 lbs.  Also of note, I was right on the edge between this weight loss range and the next one up (my weight was on the very high end).  I ended up losing 23 lbs and corresponding inches (inches lost should equal pounds lost to know you are losing fat).  I attribute this "little bit extra" to the fact I was right on the edge of the range and also b/c I weighed at different times of the day between the 2 weigh-ins (I try and keep that consistent now).

Also, there were plenty of times during the 8 weeks that I didn't feel like I had lost anything even though I physically felt better.  And then all of a sudden I would wake up one morning and feel like I had dropped some weight.  So just because you don't feel like you have lost weight don't be discouraged until the 8 weeks is up for weighing in.

The remaining 4 weeks I stayed on step 1, I lost and additional 13 pounds.  But, you have to realize during this time I was not able to exercise as much with the surgery recovery so I could have been losing muscle.  I just weighed to get a starting point for my first 8 weeks of step 2.  Beginning step 2, I dropped down to the next weight loss range of 6-13 lbs expected weight loss.

Did your weight loss slow down on step 2?
Well simply put, yes, HOWEVER - IT WAS SUPPOSED TO!!  I weighed less to begin with so I was in the new range of 6-13 lb weight loss in 8 weeks.  At the end of 8 weeks I had lost 11 pounds - exactly where I was supposed to be.  Since then I have lost 7 more pounds but this was after deciding to take a few weeks "off plan" or really in maintenance (step 3) while some crazy life was going on.  Then I re-started for 10 days in step 1 and got back on to step 2.  I just want to say that I love step 2!!  I am currently in another step 2 phase.

What kind of exercise do you do and how often?
Most days I do the minimum of 30 minutes b/c trying to fit in exercise with work and raising 2 little boys is not too easy and there is always mom guilt.  A lot of times this is walking during my lunch break at work.  Winter was rough for me b/c I like being able to walk outside but luckily my work has a free gym in the building.  I also really enjoy doing workout videos at home after the kids go to bed.  I have lots of different videos.  I was a dancer for most of my life so I like the dance videos like core rhythms or hip hop routines.  I also like the Leslie Sansone walking videos, weight training from the biggest loser, and strength yoga.  I just try to keep it interesting and the time flies by.  I am also training to run 5Ks b/c it keeps me moving towards a goal (most of it is interval training of walking and jogging).  I am very inspired by my husband who is training to be an iron man but I do not have the time to commit to that level and have had lots of success with what I am doing.  You really only need to do the 30 minutes....I promise it works!

Any food suggestions? / What foods do you eat to keep from getting bored?
Well, I am hoping to answer this question with this blog by documenting my journey and different recipes along the way.  I love making veggie juices and smoothies which can always be different based on what neutral veggies are in season (adding some lemon always makes these taste so good and I can be sure to get in my veggies).  I could not live without my nut butters.  I can eat them by the spoonful and keep it interesting by trying different nuts.  I like to take sandwiches and wrap them in iceberg or bib lettuce as a neutral "holder".  I can have lots of variety this way.  I also like switching things up to get creative.  I have a recipe I will post soon that is a philly cheesesteak but you put it in a green pepper....amazing!  I also love cauliflower "rice" and mashed cauliflower.  I make pizzas using low carb tortillas as the crust and cannot tell the difference.  I make different kinds of soups that are veggie based usually and freeze them for easy meals for me (my husband is not a big fan of soup).  Step 1 is obviously going to be more restrictive which is why step 2 is my fave :)  The key for me is to take things I love and figure out a way to make them fit MM and stay tasty.  I never mind a piece of DOVE dark chocolate with nut butter on it as a "counter" treat.....yummy :)

Did you have carb cravings on step 2?
No.  My carb cravings went away after the first week on step 1 and they have never come back while being on MM.  A few days of being off plan were the only times they have reared their ugly head.  The disappearance of these cravings is my #1 reason why I believe in MM.

On a side note about cravings:  I think it is really important to recognize the difference between a true craving and a habit pattern you have created for yourself.  A craving for me was when I would obsess over chocolate chip cookies until I drove to the store at 2 am to get the ingredients to make some.  These extreme and less extreme cravings completely went away.  It surprised me and I think it REALLY surprised my husband. But every once in a while I would still "want" a treat - not b/c I was craving it but because I was used to having that particular treat at a specific time or place (like every time I drove to a specific part of the city I would go to a specific ice cream shop - so when I visited there I would think about going to get that ice cream but then realized I didn't really want it, it was just something I always did).  So you do have to break your habit patterns as well.

Any words of advice or wisdom for people starting the program?
Well, I always have lots to say (just ask my husband) but I will focus on 3 things.  And I am no expert, just someone who loves the program...

1.  Get rid of your guilt.  You have the knowledge now, so use it.  If you slip-up then just get right back on plan.  There is slip-up correction built into the plan.  Just make a decision, if the slip-up is worth the consequences then do it and move forward.  Everything I do is a choice and I am happy knowing I am in control and not my body.  And don't feel guilty about eating fats!  You really have to re-program your brain on that one b/c the food industry has brainwashed us to think that fat is bad.

2.  Find out what works for you and do that.  Everyone is different.  You may hate my recipes and my exercise and that doesn't offend me.  Just try things out, find something that works for you and stick with it.  One decision I have made is allowing myself to eat the higher fat versions of some foods like cheese and salad dressings.  I do not like the low fat versions.  I just know that it may slow my fat loss b/c I have to burn the fat in my food first.  I am ok with that and I actually end up eating less than I probably would of the low-fat versions.  Some people may not be able to do that.....totally up to you.

3.  Focus on what you can ADD to your eating instead of what you are taking away.  I try to incorporate more veggies into my meals instead of focusing on the items I am not eating.  I heard this quote and I love it - don't tell yourself "I want it but I can't have it", instead say "I can have it but I DON'T WANT IT".  I like this b/c no one is forcing me to eat this way but I don't want to eat any other way for my body b/c I feel so great :)



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am happy to answer any questions about my personal journey.  If you have any more questions please just e-mail me (link at the top right of page) or add them to the comments below and I will answer them (either in comment or in another post if I get enough).  To post a comment just click on the link that says "no comments" or "4 comments" and then type away in the box.  I review all posts so it may not show up right away.




DON'T LET THIS BE YOU!!  HEHEHE :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...