Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Breakfast for Dinner ~ Low Carb Coconut Flour Pancakes (gluten free, grain free)



Breakfast for breakfast is fine, but why not switch it up and have breakfast for dinner every once in a while?  My family does this alot because it is simple, on the cheaper side, and the kids think it is so fun!

One of the challenges with eating low carb is when you miss things like pancakes.  When I first was searching for low carb recipes I found this one, which I love.  It makes thin little pancakes that kind of taste like French toast.  Simple and tasty.

Now, I know I have said before that I am not creative in the kitchen, but after making a good amount of low carb and paleo baking recipes I thought I could try my hand at some alterations.  I love the pancakes I mentioned, but they are very thin and I wanted to try to add some fluffiness.  I have not been a fan of the pancakes made with almond flour b/c they are too dry and gritty for my liking but then I was introduced to coconut flour and it changed my world.

So here is my altered recipe that is pictured above:

Coconut Flour Pancakes
2 eggs
2 oz. cream cheese
5 drops vanilla stevia (or 1 packet splenda or other sweetner)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 c coconut flour
1/4 c water
1 Tablespoon nut butter - I used my pecan butter but almond would work (peanut butter probably too but it might taste like it a little)
Mix-ins optional - I sometimes add mini chocolate chips for the kiddos or fruit for a MM step 2 option or chopped up nuts

I mix the batter in a magic bullet or any small blender to make sure it is good and combined.  If you want a thinner batter just add more water until you get the desired consistency.  I pour about 1/4 cup per pancake on a griddle for about 2 minutes on each side (you really can't over cook them but thy can be under cooked in the middle so be sure to do what works for your heat level).

You can see that they are pretty fluffy and moist on the inside :)



I may try and substitute the cream cheese/water for some coconut milk next time to make it paleo friendly.......but the hubby does not really dig panckes anyway so my efforts may be wasted.

I added blueberries to half the batch which was amazing!!  I asked Tyce if he liked the chocolate chips or the blueberries better and he said blueberries!!  That's my boy! And these were fresh blueberries so no fake stuff you find in the eggo waffles and such!




If you use 1/4 c blueberries or less this can be your 5 g counter for those on MM.

I hope you like these!  If you try them let me know what you think or any tweaks you have made!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...