Thursday, April 18, 2013

Yummy Banana Chocolate Chip Spice Muffins (possibly paleo ~ definitely gluten free and low carb)


So what you will soon learn about me is that I am not very creative in the kitchen.  I can follow a recipe like nobodies business (hello....I am a scientist) but when it comes to just winging it......total fail on my part.  In other words if you ever see a recipe on my blog I will probably have a link to the original author's post just like this one I am about to tell you about.

Side note:  I am not really sure on the etiquette of referencing another blog so I am hoping putting the link to give credit is the way to go.

Anywhoooooo.....I will talk in much more detail in other posts about our families eating habits but this recipe was one I came across when looking for a paleo breakfast item.  A couple of the ways I am trying to live a simpler life are incorporated here such as eating simple whole foods and eating on a budget by buying on sale and freezing meals/snacks.

So you can find the recipe on the link I posted above, the only modification is at the last minute I decided to add some mini dark chocolate chips (gluten free) to half of the batter for the kiddos (and maybe me).  This is the part that may or may not be paleo - up to your personal paleo eating style.

all of the ingredients ~ homemade almond butter in the Ball jar on the left and that cute little flower jar on the right was made by my soon to be sister-in-law and is homemade vanilla just using vanilla bean and vodka (genius)

I used my Ninja for this ~ if you are not familiar with it think of a cross between a blender and a food processor ~ we love it in my house

combine all of the wet ingredients - eggs, bananas, almond butter, cocnut oil, vanilla and blend until completely mixed

combine all of the dry ingredients ~ coconut flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt ~ add to wet ingredients and bland until smooth

should look something like this


this is me deciding last minute to spruce it up with some chocolate chips ~ I didn't measure this out just kinda threw them in there ~ it is not very many chips per muffin

I love using my ice cream scoop to equally measure out muffins into the pan so theoretically they bake the same

I filled mine almost 3/4 full and got 12 muffins out of the whole batter ( I think you were supposed to get 24 ~ oops)

About 15 minutes later on 350 and finished!!

These were seriously yummy and super moist (which is not very characteristic of gluten free baking so I was super excited).  Most of the sugar/carbs come from the bananas so I feel pretty good about it.  The net carb count without the chocolate chips is around 11 g per muffin if you make 12.  Adding the chocolate chips is probably another carb or 2 (like I said ~ I didn't measure them out like a good scientist).

If anyone out there ever reads this and tries them, let me know what you think or any alterations you think would be good!!  I am going to try and put a few of these in the freezer to save for later before all of my boys get their hands on them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...