Monday, April 22, 2013

Merging a Family of Eating Styles

photo source


We started out being a family where I was the only one making eating changes.  Everyone was supportive of me but I did not want to make them change the way they were eating just because I needed to.  So I started to blend the way I was eating while still cooking for everyone else (or my husband cooking....which always tastes better....thanks sweetie).  I wasn't cooking something completely different just eliminating buns or pastas for myself.

So flash forward to now.....my family has 3 different eating styles.  Metabolism Miracle (me), Paleo/Primal (the hubby), and anything kid friendly and nutritious for 2 growing boys.

So my husband has started to eat Paleo/Primal.  It is great b/c the paleo way of eating is not a very far cry from the way I have to eat.  You cannot have any grains but you can have as much fruit as you want.  Dairy and natural sugars (honey, maple syrup) are limited up to your personal preference. I really like to think of it as eating real whole foods.  I was so excited to see my husband make this change for his health even though he is super fit and definitely not a "met B".  Now the 2 of us can eat very similarly I just need to pay close attention to the amount of fruit or honey in a dish.  He does get the occasional "oh you are eating like a caveman" comments, but I will take a super healthy husband any day (I actually kinda like him and want him to be around for a good long time by my side).

So as you might notice if you follow my recipes, I do my best to merge our eating "requirements" when finding and making foods.  And as far as the kids go, I believe they are eating as healthy as possible by sharing with us.  They are not being limited in any way but only benefiting from learning a healthy way to live while they are young.  Maybe they will help to change this crazy world of processed foods and health problems instead of making all of the mistakes we made.  Also, if they really want something not on one of mommy or daddy's plans then we let them have it in moderation and at this point we do not alter what they eat at school/daycare.  They are kids after all.  (but they actually really love my homemade nut butters, kale chips, and secretly-full-of-nutrients veggie juices or smoothies...hehe.....tricky tricky).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...