Thursday, May 9, 2013

Attacking the Clutter ~ Life draining e-mail subscriptions



Does your e-mail inbox look like this?  This is an actual picture of mine.  Every day I open it with about 100 unread messages all from different stores, newsletters, etc.  Well, if you have been reading my blog then you know I am attempting to "attack the clutter" in my life step by step.  So, next phase, massive e-mail abolishment.

This picture above is actually my e-mail account that I ditched as my default b/c I am always searching through a billion e-mails to get to one that I actually NEED to read.  I check it almost every day, but mainly to delete e-mails.  The excuse I gave myself as to why I keep it so cluttered is because one day I will NEED to know that some store is having the exact sale or coupon I need.

Then I realized:
1.  I waste a lot of time sifting through and deleting e-mails that I mostly don't even read
2.  These stores are hoping that I see their e-mail and buy something that I don't need and don't have the money for
3.  If I really need a particular item I can search the ads until I find it for the price I need (patience, right?)  Or I can buy a discounted gift card to the particular store prior to buying the item (more on that in another post).

The bottom line is:  I don't NEED all of these e-mails.  They are eating up my precious free time.  So I have begun a process of attacking the clutter of my e-mail inbox to lead a simpler life :)  It is a slow process of unsubscribing to every unnecessary e-mail I get when I see a new one I have not attacked.  It has been great and now I can focus on more important e-mails that come through.


photo source

I have left subscriptions to 2 of my favorite blogs that give me a list of ongoing coupons and great sales so I don't feel like I am missing out.  They do all of the work for me and don't clutter up my e-mail (2 e-mails as opposed to 65 - right?).  These blogs are:

Kansas City Mamas - great for anyone local here in KC that wants store ads, etc.
The Frugal Girls - more of a nationwide discount, coupon blog

Both of these blogs help keep my life simple and my budget on track.  I promise I will post soon about budgeting and financial peace :)  So far this e-mail attack has been so liberating and I have been able to revive my old e-mail account again.

How have you attacked clutter in your life?  Any other great ideas about e-mails, coupons/sales, etc?  I would love to hear them!  E-mail me or comment below!

~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...