Friday, May 17, 2013

Purposeful Living ~ Choosing to Focus on Happiness

photo source

I have been really trying to focus on happy and positive things in my life lately.  It is no easy task but it makes a world of difference.  And like I mentioned in this post, focusing on the positive makes you see the positive in lots of little things in everyday life.  It really brings about true joy without thinking.

The topic I wanted to discuss today is having joy in the midst of stressful or frustrating life circumstances.  This is not always as easy as just finding happiness in everyday-not-as-stressful-life. But living a very stressful and negative life is soooooo detrimental to someone's health and I have experienced this first hand.   I know when I am sad or frustrated I just want to stay that way and bring everyone down with me.  But I have realized that it does not do anyone any good.  Also, I know my kids and husband feel it when I am unhappy and I don't want that for them.

So I have decided to be purposeful in my journey for joy.  I made a goal that if I am experiencing a stressful or frustrating circumstance when I would normally lose my cool, then I am going to pause and make myself focus on 3 positive things about the situation.  I am hoping that this will shift my focus to the positive and put me in a better mental state.

Interestingly enough, after I made this decision (on the plane this last weekend) I encountered just the situation to test myself.  I was on a business trip this week where I had to look very nice every day and packed every business outfit I owned.  I made sure to bring my make-up (which I don't wear often) and my nice shoes.  After waiting through 2 rounds of baggage claim I realized they had lost both of my bags and I was most likely going to have to buy a nice outfit for the next day (money not budgeted for). 



So I asked myself what my 3 positives were...

1.  I arrived safely to my destination from both planes.
2.  I was able to relax and read on the flight where I had a whole row of seats to myself
3.  If I had to buy a new outfit then it would be fun to shop for something new since I have been losing weight.

Then I thought of some more.....
4.  I still had my laptop and all of the preparation files I needed for the week
5.  I was going to have the afternoon to relax and get some much needed alone time

It really did the trick, I was focusing on happy experiences and I was pretty calm with the whole situation.  Because I had approached the situation with happiness I was very nice to the lady working in the lost luggage counter (normally I probably would have been very short and frustrated) which hopefully made her job easier.  When all was said and done I just had a nice laugh about it.  I did end up buying some new outfits that night but at the last minute they delivered my bags to the hotel at 1 am and I was able to wear my own clothes and return the ones I had bought.

Ultimately, I have discovered that you can't wait for circumstances to go your way to be happy (I'll be happy when ......)  You have to make it a choice everyday.

I would love to hear ways that you stay happy in stressful situations...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...